Hmm, nope. Not really XD I was surprised that he offered his blood just like that, but not that he decided to openly help her in general. He'd been discreetly supporting her all along when she came to the HA, so it wasn't a "sudden twist". I was more surprised at this chapter in how he was so submissive to the point he just let her push and pin him down against a tree and looking so indifferent when she bit him. Only afterwards did he get a look on his face as if he was high, lol XD
I was surprised he did it so quickly, but the circumstances all added up if you make a couple of assumptions. Hino never explains everything. But yeah, despite Zero implying they this is business transaction, he's so quick to submit once he sees Yuuki doing her best, he can't help but comply, like the dog that he is. Zero knows his true master.
my friend's tl from the japanese raws makes a few things clearer to me (though she always says its not a perfect tl), from a zeki pov where this is leading. Yuuki's refraining from asking Zero about his hunger, though she clearly really wants to and worries for him, she's sticking to the line that he's drawn and its not even friendship. Yuuki clearly wants more, but she's taking what she can get. So under these rules, she's not allowed to care for him, but they're starting afresh and thats all that matters to her. What it means and where it leads, is ambiguous. But it's like the whole 'running away to keep Zero alive' Yuuki uses anything she can to keep a connection to Zero. But anyways, the gist is that Yuuki attitude toward Zero in 74 is limited by Zero's boundaries.
by using comparisons inside the story it actually stays in context with how LOVE is portrayed inside the story rather than outside of it by using the context that already exists and that is in YUME, hence makes it more credible because its based inside.
How is love portrayed in VK?
- Shizuka showed love by teasing Ichiru, refusing to bite Ichiru and turn him into a vampire and causing him the same pain she caused her human lover, keeping him at a distance, giving him her flesh and blood.
- Ichiru protected Shizuka and desired for her to turn him into a vampire, and completed her vengeance after her death. He never told her that he loved her, but he knew that she knew, but wasn't sure if she had loved him too.
- Zero expresses his love for Yuuki in the first arc with his standard sullen nature, through his protective actions, not his words until he actually kissed her, alot of readers were certain he wasn't in love with her and called it friendship.
- Maria yearns and searchs for Ichiru's presence.
- Shiki and Rima protect one another, constant companions and friends who share much in common.
- Kain, protecting Ruka and follows her dogmatically, accepted her love for Kaname silently.
- Ruka as a child gushed about Kaname, as she grew older, she became a Kaname fan girl, but also observant, selfless and fiercly protected Kaname from others and himself.
- Haruka and Juri, physically affectionate and close, babbled fondly and warmly about one another, starting out with Juri tsunderely hostile to Haruka's persistent attachment to her.
-There's even the crueller unhealthy side of love, with Rido's love for Juri expressed in an all encompassing desire to consume her.
Love in VK has been both subtle and obvious and varied. Love in vk comes in many forms as in real life.
Its pretty simple. Kaname tells Yuuki that she needs the blood of her beloved to satisfy her, Yuuki's conclusion is that she won't be satisfied without Zero's blood. Yuuki doesn't include Yori in that, who no doubt she loves wholeheartedly. Yuuki doesn't think of her attachment to Zero as just friendship, it goes beyond that or she wouldn't believe that without him she can't be satisfied. Yuuki's heart according to Kaname (a year ago) is 50/50 between Zero and Kaname, Yuuki states that Kaname cannot be happy with that. If all Yuuki feels for Zero is what she considers friendship, she shouldn't consider that making Kaname unhappy. She wouldn't consider herself so cruel confessing such things to Kaname a year later. And none of this has been reversed because yuuki hasn't reaffirmed.
"I don't mind if there is someone else inside your heart. You are who you are because you have a big heart...yet you told me you want to stay by my side. You'll suffer over it...because you have love inside your heart for me too."
Different opinions are expected, but my interpration of the above is that Kaname is reminding Yuuki that she still loves him, because Zero in her heart is encroaching on that.
73-74 are not loved focused, there's no room for that, its about rebuilding the relationship to where they can just talk to another first. maria does teeter the balance with a little foreshadowing, bringing up needing Kaname vs Zero and implying that the two cannot co-exist in Yuki's heart.